Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Choices

Many years ago, in Singapore, we had to take this compulsory class and exams called the General Paper (GP for short) It dealt with world issues, moral and ethical view points and controversial topics - abortion, euthanasia, beauty pageants, teenage mothers you get the idea. At that time, my 17 year old mind was too immature for such undertakings and I was put into the class that needed to "improve" the most. I remember distinctly how difficult it was for me to write about certain things, and I remember not having an opinion of my own. I remember how I was usually on the fence, because I believed that there were usually at least 2 sides to every story, so taking a stand was hard for me until I knew EVERYTHING. Later on in life (and by that I mean now) I realized that I am wired in such a way that decisions came slow and deliberate...much like the Ents in Lord of the Rings I suppose.

Today, I learned that my grandmother, an awesome lady whom I spent a lot of my growing up years with, someone who always made wonderful Pickled Vegetable and Duck soup and someone whom I have not seen for 7 years, is lying in a coma, with a heart that is not beating, and supported by a machine that pumps oxygen into her lungs.

The concept of euthanasia is staring me in the face.

It was hard to write about it back in Junior College, it is even harder to think about it right now.

Please pray that my family finds the strength and peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for you, family, decisions, etc. fabian.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and your family as well.

Fabian said...

Thanks guys.
I did get news this morning that life support was removed...God have mercy on her.

Anonymous said...

Oh Fabian. I am so distressed for you.