Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Capertillars and Aminals

So, I had to go in to work for a little bit today - feed, medicate, and clean the education animals. In my solitude of cutting up bananas and changing wood chips, my mind inevitably wandered ... I like to call them moments of inspirations, because for a brief period of time, I surprise myself, and am taken into a different place; one where I go "thank goodness I have consciousness and not just instincts."

Anyway, here are some of those "moments."

While feeding the tenrec (please look at exhibit A to the right) I noticed the typical bunch of crickets hopping around in the tenrec's "crib." However, on this fateful day, there were 2 crickets in the tenrec's water bowl. My heroic manly nature kicked in (insert baritone manly growl here) and I proceeded to save those crickets from drowning. The crickets were very happy and hopped away (think Jimminy Cricket)
Moments later, the same cricket took a U turn and hopped back into the water bowl. I was baffled and wondered..."If these creatures are so not intelligent, why are they not extinct yet?"
Moment of inspiration: It is because they breed somewhat fast and they eat pretty much anything .
It got me thinking further... isn't that much like lack-of-common sense people in society then? I must admit that I often fall short and lacked the typical common sense, but I am referring to people who are...well, you know "sits in a smoking section chain smoking with a baby on her shoulders!" You would think that just by survival of the fittest theory, lack-of-common sense people might become extinct, but noooooo, I guess they breed somewhat fast too like crickets!
So, new simile for the day: Lack-of-common sense people are like crickets.

Wait! There's more!

While I was cleaning Chuckles the Rooster and Scooter the Duck, I had not 1, but 2 moments of inspirations.

First, I was using the hose, with a jet of water shooting with decent pressure, trying to get yucky stuff off the cement floor. Then the thought of Blood:Water Mission popped into my head. Here I am using water to clean up after animals and somewhere in the world, humans don't even have clean water to drink.

Second, I was spraying water and cleaning Scooter's rubber mat, and as soon as it was cleaned, Scooter poops on it. It happened 3 times! I was a little annoyed after the third time, and I thought "that's it buddy, I am not cleaning you up anymore!"
Moment of inspiration: Isn't that like how we treat God's grace sometimes. He cleans us, and then we poop and sin and get dirty again and he cleans us again. I am not liking myself to God in my act of cleaning up after Scooter, it just got me thinking about how I sometimes take for granted God's grace for me. It is a great thing that God never ever gets annoyed with me and he will never say "that's it buddy, I am not cleaning you up anymore!"

Lastly, please do not be like Amborro the Blue and Gold Macaw.
Please do not bite the hand that feeds you :)

1 comment:

amyschoepf said...

fabian. i am glad today that you work with roosters and ducks and macaws and animals of the sort. rather than siberian tigers.